[Mccoypottery-talk] What is this???!?

Kevin Reffitt kreffitt@pbtcomm.net
Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:42:02 -0500

This one has me completely confused...

eBay #6258759902

Before anyone jumps to a "fake" conclusion, look at it closely:

Wax resist foot...consistent with McCoy
Heavy staining, but NOT "Old English Furniture Polish".  Looks old!
Greenware cleaning methods consistent with a true production
environment, like McCoy.
Base clay body color is off-white, not a modern white slip clay.
Glaze itself is thick, uneven, and rough.  Completely consistent with
a vintage production glaze.

The color and method is completely off!  It was sprayed with
underglaze, and then a "wipe-back" was done on the "Cookies" and
sash.  Brown was also sprayed.  McCoy used cold paint, not underglaze color.

I'm completely convinced that this jar is old, real old.  I have no
idea who made this jar and why.

Any ideas?

Kevin
Storybook Ceramics