[Mccoypottery-talk] What is this???!?

david mcCoy damitboy@yahoo.com
Sat, 11 Mar 2006 11:37:05 -0800 (PST)

My Bad......the bottom of the listing is incised as well......and on second look.. the detail around the bust and hands doesnt quite look sharp enough.
  the cirumference is what bothers me though.....

  Dave

david mcCoy <damitboy@yahoo.com> wrote:
  Hi Kevin!
I looked at that listing again. I also got my Mammy down and set her next to me.
Here is what I found. The listing states it is 11" tall, which is correct, however, the circumference is wayyyyy off. The listing states something to the effect of 20 1/4" or so. Mine is exactly 24 inches in circumference at its widest.
The mccoy mark on the bottom is also different than mine. Mine is incised, whereas the ebay one is raised.
Although, I havent decided to tell myself that the ebay one is fake, the circumference makes me wonder.

Dave

Kevin Reffitt wrote:
This one has me completely confused...

eBay #6258759902

Before anyone jumps to a "fake" conclusion, look at it closely:

Wax resist foot...consistent with McCoy
Heavy staining, but NOT "Old English Furniture Polish". Looks old!
Greenware cleaning methods consistent with a true production
environment, like McCoy.
Base clay body color is off-white, not a modern white slip clay.
Glaze itself is thick, uneven, and rough. Completely consistent with
a vintage production glaze.

The color and method is completely off! It was sprayed with
underglaze, and then a "wipe-back" was done on the "Cookies" and
sash. Brown was also sprayed. McCoy used cold paint, not underglaze color.

I'm completely convinced that this jar is old, real old. I have no
idea who made this jar and why.

Any ideas?

Kevin
Storybook Ceramics
http://www.storybookceramics.com

Sponsor:
Dance to the rhythm of your cell phone. Choose from the Charts Top songs! Get 10 Zero Cost Tones today!

http://c.azjmp.com/az/ch.php?f=1885&i=11373?=mccoypottery-talk-list

Get an Apple iPod and enjoy taking your music with you!

Click Here: http://c.azjmp.com/az/ch.php?f=1398&i=11373?=mccoypottery-talk-list

Yahoo! Mail