Black Chef Fake

List Mom listmom@mccoypottery.com
Wed, 14 Apr 99 00:09:33 -0500

KenDrose@aol.com said:

>Imitation is supposed to be one of the highest forms of flattery, but there
>are certainly times when this does not hold true. Surely when you steal
>someone
>else's ideas, for your own personal gain would have to be one of them.

A McCoy repro is hardly what I would define as "Imitation". As an artist
I myself am offended by the repros out there as they are not created by
artists, there are at best very, very poor reproductions by poor
craftsmen.  In every case, the repro is smaller than the original.  This
happens because the individual/s responsible for the repro simply made a
mold or cast of the original.  This type of transfer, or "second
generation" reproduction results in a smaller piece.  I don't lay all the
blame or dislike of repros on the people/s who have created the repros, I
lay most the blame on the unethical behavior of people who try to pass
them off as the real McCoy, and believe me, there are a lot of people out
there who knowingly sell these repros as the real thing. While I am a bit
passive on the subject most of the time, dad (aka mccoy@mccoypottery.com)
will actually confront the dealer/s who are doing this when we are at a
show, or flea market.  Boy do some of these people get defensive.  Dad
even hung around one stand for about an hour making sure that others knew
that the repros on the table (about 5 or so) were not real and they
should be sure to beware. Now there was one dealer at this particular
flea market that had a repro and had it labeled "Repro" and priced
accordingly.

In my professional opinion as an artist and asspiring art historian, I
can honestly say that I have yet to see a repro of McCoy that is anything
but an abortion.  Through the years there have been several
artists/artisans that have copied or imitated others works.  In fact,
Rembrandt and DaVinci alike indulged in a common practice when training
students.  This practice was to have the students copy their works.  This
is a how you became an artist.  You would spend years and years copying
the masters works until no one could tell the difference.  After that,
then you developed your own style and works.  The people creating repros
are not artists, nor are they students of art.  They are masters in crap,
plain and simple.  Another reason there are so many copies of famous
works of art throughout the ages is because some people could not afford
the real thing and would commission a less skilled artist to create a
copy of a popular work by one of the masters so they too could have a
piece of art to put in there home/church, wherever.  This is not the case
with a McCoy, as most repros seem to be more costly then the real thing.
And of course, we are not dealing with the last supper here.  Most
McCoy's are within reach of the average person.

Regards,

The List Mom

                   Linking McCoy Lovers World Wide
   McCoy Pottery Online T-Shirts available for only $15.95 + shipping
        Visit the new Cookie Jar Store:  www.cookiejarstore.com