[Mccoypottery-talk] Fakes flooding the auctions sites!

Kim Taylor kstsells@hotmail.com
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:16:08

Barb,

Just curious... Did the bottom of the piece you bought say McCoy?  USA?  And
do you know if the pieces you have been seeing have any of the McCoy marks
on the bottoms?  I buy and sell McCoy too and was just wondering.  Sorry
that you got a fake!  I have bought 2 pieces of fake pink depression glass
from Ebay. But I got a good book and now I know what to look for too.

Kim

I love getting the emails about what is going on with the McCoy pieces!  I
recently purchased a (ugh) Snow White Cookie Jar by "McCoy" on Yahoo
Auctions.  I did this BEFORE I bought my collector references books.
Anyway,
within 24 hours of winning this cookie jar, I was told by some of you great
folks (thank you!) that McCoy never even made a Snow White Cookie Jar.  Now
that I have these reference books, I am getting myself straightened out!
However, I am truly alarmed at the number of pieces being sold as McCoy on
Ebay and Yahoo Auctions these days!  These new repros even have crazing with
them to make them look old!  I have notified the proper channels on these
auction sites about what I know but nothing is being done.  Does anybody
know
WHY this is allowed?  People are paying (not unlike me) absurd prices for
fakes, repros and fantasy pieces.  I know how I felt getting ripped off so
badly (the seller of the Snow White cookie jar would NOT refund my payment,
told me "tough luck" essentially) and hate to see it happen to so many
others!  Any ideas of what can be done?  Would a number of us complaining to
these auction sites make any difference?  Appreciate any insight into this,
thanks!  Have a good one!  Barb