[Mccoypottery-talk] I guess I'm even more naive ;-)

Tim Harlan tharlan@twinvalley.net
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:14:27 -0500

Shill bidding is when someone helps the seller by putting bids on an item t=
hey don't really want.  The purpose is to make a genuine prospective buyer =
pay more.    I have seen this happen at estate auctions too, although somet=
imes family members are seriously interested in buying.           I think "=
shill" is an old carnival term for a person who assists a peddler or gamble=
r by placing false bids or bets.
Tim
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: acp=20
  To: mccoypottery-talk@lists.mccoypottery.com=20
  Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 8:15 PM
  Subject: [Mccoypottery-talk] I guess I'm even more naive ;-)

  LeeLaH5@aol.com wrote:

    I guess I'm just really naive. I didn't even know you could hide your f=
eedback. I would surely be very suspicious of someone who doesn't want me t=
o see their feedback. LOL As far as the shill bidding. Would it really be w=
orth it to do that with all the listings she has? She would have to pay fin=
al value fees on all of it. I'm just totally amazed. LOL
    LeeAnn
  Ok.  I have to ask.  I saw one post go by about "shill bidding", but thou=
ght
  I'd let it pass, as not to appear "uneducated".  But here it is again.  S=
o --
  WHAT on earth is shill bidding????=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

  Remember I am deathly afraid of auctions (the real ones where you might
  raise your arm and end up with a yacht or something), so I am not privy t=
o=20
  auction lingo.=20=20

  I did attend an estate auction a few months ago.  This one had those
  terrible auctioneers who try to disguise what they are saying, so you'll=
=20
  bid when you don't mean to.  ;-)     And there were several family members
  running around.  I didn't know who they were at first, but later on, the=
=20
  crowd was rumbling with info that the family was bidding on the items to=
=20
  drive up the prices.   So,  is THAT what shill bidding is???=20=20

  And also, BTW, where did the name "shill" come from?
  :-)
  acp